I knew something was quite right around 11 months. Anna Kate's babble wasn't like what her doctor said it should be. Dr. W dismissed it at her 12 month check up, telling me to give her time. And I did, but it was in the back of my mind constantly. Many of our friends' children had 1-3 words, pointing and other language milestones. Anna Kate didn't. Although I have been teaching her sign language, she just didn't pick up the words/signs as fast as most kids. We quit going to playdates and other outings because I thought people would question me why Anna Kate wasn't talking.
At her 15 month check it, there was something very wrong. During the well-baby checkup, the nurse over a list of things your child should be doing: saying 10 words, pointing, bringing me things, understanding simple commands (bring me your sippie cup). Too, Anna Kate often times would not respond to her name being called, noises behind her or look to see what Dixie was barking at. Of the checklist, I answered no to most of them. It was a heartbreaking moment to think your sweet child might have something serious wrong. I asked what we could do to rule out any problems and Dr. W recommended a hearing test. He said that the #1 cause of delayed speech was hearing loss.
So we got two independent hearing tests done at two different clinics. I wanted to make sure the reports were concurrent---and they were. Both of them recommended that Anna Kate have an Auditory Brainstem Response test done. This is a type of hearing test where they measure the auditory nerve and it's response in the brain for that sound. Because of the sensitivity of the test, Anna Kate had to be sedated.
The worst part of the test was that Anna Kate (and mama) had to be up for 4 hours before the test and can't eat within that time frame either. So we both were up at 3.30 am, eating breakfast bars and drinking milk, for her 8am appointment. You try finding things to do and something on TV at that hour appropriate for a toddler! Thank goodness for TiVo!!!
We had a wonderful experience with All Children's when Anna Kate had her ABR done. Our nurse and audiologist were awesome! The best part of the test: Anna Kate had NO HEARING LOSS. None! Our audiologist said that her scans were textbook, and that she could rule out any hearing loss or auditory nerve damage. What a blessing!! As the good news sunk in, I realized that if she had no hearing loss, then what was causing her speech delay?
We embarked on the next part of our journey with Early Intervention. Talk about a lesson in humility for me. I am very, very grateful for the services of Early Intervention and our coordinator. We started our EI process with an evaluation of Anna Kate. Although she scored on and above her age for three categories, she failed two. Really no surprise: Receptive and Expressive language. It was the feeling all over again that something wrong with your child and even worse, to have someone point it out. But at the same time, I was relieved to know we were in the right place for help. We were immediately referred for speech therapy.
We started therapy in July twice a week. Anna Kate was placed with a wonderful clinic and terrific therapist, Ms. Katie. Wonder how to have speech therapy with a 17 month old? Very carefully! Lots of songs, toys and appropriate play. But still there was a piece of the puzzle still missing. Ms. Katie highly recommended an evaluation for sensory problems.
That same week, Ms. Marcia completed an occupational therapy eval for her. For the first time in our journey I felt a huge weight had lifted as many of the questions and statements Ms. Marcia made about Anna Kate fit her to a "t". Felt that I wasn't going crazy but found somebody that could truly help Anna Kate.
What we discovered is that Anna Kate has Sensory Processing Disorder and dyspraxia. The SPD really explains her language delay. Basically, the neurons in her brain that control these senses and some motor skills are not fully developed. She actually has two SPD issues, inner ear and tactile defensiveness. Anna Kate isn't able to filter the sounds that most of us don't even pay attention to: the tv in the background, cars outside, the washing machine or dishwasher, and most importantly, her parents :). Not being able to figure out what she's supposed to listen to, she easily got frustrated and overwhelmed (and more so than the average-almost-2 year old-tantrums).
So now, Anna Kate goes for 2 sessions of speech and 2 of OT each week. One would really wonder if all the swinging and game playing she does is really therapy :) or lots of fun. But yes, it is working. I don't understand alot of the things her therapists do with her, but I am a firm believer that they work.
Three weeks into therapy, the sweetest words a parent can hear from their child: Mommy and Daddy. And yes, that is as plain as day: "Mom-me" and "Da-dee" It was worth the 17 month wait to hear those words from Anna Kate!!! And it still the sweetest words I hear in the morning through the monitor. I know she's ready for the day when she calls for us by name.
In the eight weeks of speech and five weeks of occupational therapy, Anna Kate has added so much to her vocabulary--both speech but signing more as well. She now says "hot," "juice," "Dix" (Dixie), "hi" "done" (all done), and the cutest one, "tee" for teeth. Anna Kate will point to her teeth and say 'tee' when she is ready to brush her teeth. And, yes, she does brush them! I know when she finishes because she starts to "spit" the toothpaste out, so I lift her to the sink and she "spits" some more. (I'll have to catch that one on video for you....) She mimics so many of our words now, it's cute to watch her. Yesterday, she tried really hard to say "apple juice." She doesn't only does she understand more signs she also signs back to us, initiating what she wants---this is a huge step for her! We have about 30 signs we use on a daily basis.
Mike and I are learning Anna Kate's unique needs and how best to help her. She has a wonderful memory and that will serve her well, especially with her dyspraxia. Her therapists are very encouraged with her progress so far. It's not an overnight journey, but they believe with continued therapy she will overcome many of these developmental delays. We will meet in November with a developmental pediatrician in Tampa to make sure we stay on top of her needs and address any other concerns.
So please keep Anna Kate and her therapists in your prayers. She has a long road ahead of her, but she has a great team working with her. We are very blessed to have been introduced to EI to get the help she needs. It has been an answered prayer to learn about Anna Kate's needs and how best to help her.

2 comments:
Thanks for sharing this in such detail Suzanna. I'm SOOO glad the therapy is so obviously helping her. She's lucky to have such dedicated parents.
Suz, Thanks for sharing this about Anna Kate. It sounds like she's making so much progress..how wonderful that y'all have great EI and therapists to help you! Will pray for her, her therapists and her wonderful parents!
Post a Comment